Welcome to APWH: The Academy of Physicians in
Wound Healing’s Website
The science and practice of wound healing and related care is developing rapidly toward specialty status. To meet the needs of physicians and physicians extenders in this increasingly demanding medical discipline, a physician-oriented organization is required. The wound care association created to meet the specific needs of the physician and their physician extenders is The Academy of Physicians in Wound Healing.
The APWH was created by physicians to serve all prescribing physicians (MDs, DOs, and DPMs) in wound healing. In 2017, the APWH Board unanimously voted to open a new affiliate membership category for physician assistants (PA) and in 2018 a new category was opened for nurse practitioners (NP). The organization’s goals and objectives include the following five aspects of wound healing practice that are required for success in today’s ever challenging environment.
The organization’s goals and objectives include the following five aspects of wound healing practice that are required for success in today’s ever challenging environment.
- Education that represents in-depth clinical programming focused on diagnosis, medical/surgical management to “treat the disease as well as the wound”
- Advocacy on behalf of physicians to CMS, other regulatory agencies, insurance companies, and the public at large
- Legislative engagement to represent the physicians’ perspective on issues dealing with healthcare delivery and initiatives to advance the physician patient relationship
- Practice support including information to support operations and business efficiency
- Advancement of wound healing to medical specialty status
Grandfathering in Place During Open Enrollment
Members that join currently are doing so during Open Enrollment of the Academy. During this period, grandfathering is in place so that physicians:
- who were granted the designation of Fellow or Associate in another recognized medical association will have that same designation as members of the APWH.
- who are board certified in their specific field of medicine join as a “Fellow”, (FAPWH)
- who are certified in wound healing by the Council for Medical Education and Testing (CMET) join as a “Fellow Certified” (FAPWHc)
- join as an “Associate” (AAPWH) if not meeting criterial described in items 1, 2 or 3 above
- join as an “Physician Assistant” (PAAPWH) affiliate member
NOTE: The above designations reflect level of academic background. ALL MEMBERS irrespective of the above designations have the same rights and privileges to participate in committees, etc. During APWH conferences name badges state “member” under the physician’s name without reference to the type of member encouraging an environment where ALL physicians (with various backgrounds, disciplines and academic achievement) are on an equal playing field.
Top Rated APWH Wound Care Review and Refresher Course Online Now! Go to elearning.apwh.org for more information.
The course was designed as a refresher of wound care fundamentals or a review for wound healing certification and is a must for all wound healing providers, including residents and all those entering the field of wound care.
Save your valuable time and money with this streamlined comprehensive course.
- Flexible and Easy To Use
- Faculty Experts
- Peer Recommended
- Free Technical Support
12.35 Podiatric contact hours or 12 AMA Priority 1 credits for $325
Become an APWH member and SAVE $125
Member price is only $200
Become a Fellow, join the APWH.